Thursday 10 September 2009

Kindle

My mum was telling me about the Kindle some months ago, I think it was around Christmas. She thought - my guess is that she still thinks - that it was a great thing for me to have.

"Imagine all the space I can save!" she said.

I told her that the Kindle cost about few hundred USD and that is just for the Kindle, without any books. An e-book (or whatever you call it) costs about $10USD. It isn't exactly the cheapest thing in the world. To me, reading isn't just reading. I love books. I love the way they feel, the way they smell and the way they look. Sure, they do take up a lot of shelf space, but I love them. Sometimes, I will be in my study, going through my books and smiling to myself, when I think about the times I read them. I still have some books my mum bought me when I was really young. Looking at those books make me especially happy. I don't just love to read, I love books.

That is why I thought the Kindle isn't really for me. I don't think I will fancy pretend flipping a book on a Kindle. Does a Kindle smell like a book? What if something goes wrong and all my e-books disappear? What if I spill coffee, tea or iced Milo - things that I often have with my reading - on my Kindle? Will it die on me? Plus, I can't pass on the books to a friend or family can I? Books are for sharing! I can't really transfer my books from one book reader to another can I? The computer challenged me may find it a hassle of learning to use the Kindle and downloading books when I can just pop into a bookstore, browse until I siao then just sit back and start flipping and skip all the fiddling! Will I still have all my 500 books with me in the Kindle in 20 years time?

That, and the fact that I hoard books. A Kindle doesn't allow that.

But if one day I decide that I want to be a book slut, it will be perfect for me. Imagine reading a few chapters on this book, gets boring, hop onto another until I am in the mood for something else, hop again. Then I will go back to the first one again. Plus, it is great when travelling! It is a nice good to have if you are rich. Like Oprah. She totally endorses the Kindle. I think the audience who attended that particular show were all given a Kindle. I wish I am on that show!

I will not buy a Kindle for now, with a rather hefty price tag. But the inner gearhead that I never knew existed is thinking about it. It will be great if I receive it as a Christmas present!

No comments: