Friday 25 September 2009

Chivalry is Dead

The only people who give up their seats in trains or buses for me are ladies and the ladies who gave up their seats are never the ones in the priority seats. Don't get me wrong, even now that I am seven months pregnant, I do not demand that people give up their seats for me. It is interesting to watch people's reactions whenever I get on the train or bus. Some people suddenly seemed really busy with their hand phones or just looked away and pretended not to see me at all.

I do feel that when you are sitting in a priority seat, you should be the first to give up your seats for someone who needs it more than you, thus, people in those seats should not be busy reading the papers, nor should they be sleeping - pretending or otherwise. There is a reason why these seats are priority seats! Even I feel paiseh seating in one of those seats.

As much as I do not demand a seat, it is always so nice and I am very grateful when someone offers. I do wish the men would be more chivalrous.

2 comments:

The Sleeping Dragon said...

been hearing about this of late.quite disheartening. are singaporeans just getting uglier in their behaviour?

Boo! said...

I thought the ladies are getting nicer, but then just on Saturday I was taking a lift somewhere in Orchard, these 3 women rushed into the lift without letting the poor lady inside a chance to come out, so we waited for her to come out before going in, and guess what, the woman standing just next to the buttons didn't bother to hold the lift door for us!