Wednesday 2 September 2009

Plum and Apple

I bought it on the evening before my monthly visit to my obstetrician the next afternoon. I was really tempted to open it up on the spot and have it there and then. I held back. I didn't want another sweet drink to ruin my routine urine test result again.

The last time, I had some orange juice before the test and a Coffee Bean ice blend the evening before and I had some sugar in my urine. That is bad when you are having a baby, because the doctor may send you to do a blood glucose test and make you drink something rather nasty. Though the doctor did say only some traces of sugar, it got me a little worried and I tried cutting down the unnecessary sugar in my diet. Preggers can be a little more paranoid. The words gestational diabetes keep popping into my head. So I started cutting down, just a little here and there. If I had ice cream today, no other sweet stuff the next day. No sugar in my milo or coffee or tea. No cakes 2 days in a row, that sort of thing. Nothing too drastic, I still want to have my desserts and desserts keep me happy!

Good thing is, I cleared the urine test! I rewarded myself with this drink from Muji. Apple juice from Aomori and the plum is from Wakayama. Not a big deal, but then I start letting my imagination run wild, and suddenly, it sounds pretty romantic! This is a very nice drink, not too cloyingly sweet, with just the right amount of apple and plum juice. After you are done, you can sink your teeth into the ume. Very YUM indeed! The drink reminds me a little like the umeshu that I love to drink before I was pregnant. A lighter non alcoholic version. Perfect when you have those cravings!

No comments: