Tuesday 27 October 2009

Why I do not Work

I do get asked if I get bored staying at home all the time ever since I stopped working. Some asked what I do at home. Some people assume that I have a tai tai lifestyle. I never really have an answer when people asked me. This is my story, and hopefully, the questions will stop.

It happened at about the time when we were flat hunting. At that time, I was working full time as a preschool teacher. Most people think it is a fun job without it being too demanding. Let me tell you now that it is not. I am not paid well, and I start work at 7am to 3pm. I don't really have a proper lunch break. Most times it is just 15 minutes during the kids' nap time. After that, I will try to pack their bags, straighten out the classroom and try to do some lesson plans. Most times, I wouldn't be able to finish my lesson plans during the short time while the kids try to sleep. Because, there will be kids who wouldn't sleep and I will have to tend to them. So off I go at 3pm. I will rest a little at home, have dinner, most times at home and then meet The Husband. We would go out and have some coffee and then when I am back, I will start preparing materials for lessons or continue with my lesson plans. It was really hectic and I had no life to speak of for the time I was at that preschool. I had no time for anyone, I didn't meet my friends much and all I could think of was work.

It clearly wasn't very healthy. I stayed up the whole night one day, preparing lessons and a birthday card for The Husband. He was upset that I wasn't getting enough rest. He was feeling bad that I did that just for him. Halfway through flat hunting, I quit my job. At that point, I needed to choose - work or a life. I was about to start a new life soon, I didn't want to miss out in anything. Clearly, The Husband was feeling a little sad seeing that I have to work so hard. With a new flat coming, we need to plan for the wedding. All that took time, and it was only logical that I quit and be the main person coordinating all the work that needed to be done.Besides, us moving to Bukit Batok means that it is really silly to work in the preschool that is situated in Seng Kang.

I did think about going back to work after the moving in and the wedding. It is nice to work, I enjoyed working, even when it gets a little hectic. In the beginning, I worry about losing myself, if I stayed home and become a housewife. I miss having my own money to spend. It was a little hard taking money from The Husband and spending it. Just not that shiok, you know what I mean?

Slowly but surely, I got rid of those feelings. I love being a housewife. I love just doing the chores and then have some time on my own to indulge in my past times. I can bake when I feel like it, go out for walks, go to the museums when they are empty, read, think about what to cook for dinner, do my handicraft things, do up the house, go out and take some photos, be on the internet blogging and surfing randomly. All the things that I had no time for, I have the time now. I do the chores so The Husband doesn't have to when he comes back and we can have the evenings spending time together talking and doing whatever we like, instead of doing the chores. I know myself a lot better than I care to admit, but if I have to work, I will still insist of a home that is almost spotlessly clean. That means, evenings will be spent doing chores instead of just chilling out. So me staying at home works best for us. I am happy doing what I am doing now and he is happy being the only one bringing home the bacon. Should I ever want to go back to work one day, he will definitely be more than happy and supportive of me.

I always wanted to be a full time mum, and if I work, I will need to quit when the baby comes along. It is hard to quit when you are taking care of and teaching preschoolers. The emotional attachment to the kids makes it really hard for you to say goodbye.

I still think a bit more than I used to when it comes to spending money. I don't buy myself expensive things, except for camera lenses. I am hankering for a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and a macro lens! I don't have a tai tai lifestyle. I don't have afternoon teas with friends, (well, only sometimes) nor do I pop into spas or salons for treatments every week.I don't shop for clothes often. But man, I have all the time in the world to do my own stuff. And that is coming to an end in a month's time.

3 comments:

The Sleeping Dragon said...

ur very brave to be able and actually want to quit your job. Am envious and applaud you for it! I don't have the guts to do it, mainly for financial reasons and partly I think i'll go bonkers without a job. But the thought of being able to do all the things you want in the world and have time for it is just too tempting. That being said, I do think about it sometimes..but ah well! circumstances can be annoying sometimes! I'm counting the days when I can quit my job and do nothing with $$ still coming in!(and that won't be anytime soon!) :p

Boo! said...

I am still thinking of ways that I can make $$$$ while I still stay at home! Any ideas? Hahahaha! I miss having my own money to spend.

Boo! said...

I am still thinking of ways that I can make $$$$ while I still stay at home! Any ideas? Hahahaha! I miss having my own money to spend.