Monday 19 October 2009

Packing for Delivery

When I had 2 more months to go, someone asked if I had packed for the hospital stay. I was like, isn't that a little bit kiasu? I thought the dude was joking, apparently he wasn't. He said in a slightly serious tone that we ought to be get that bag ready.

So now, with 5 more weeks to go, I have yet to pack. I haven't given much of a thought yet, and maybe I should soon. My plan was to pack on The Day itself, at least I have something to distract me from the contraction pains. Then I start to suspect that I would want to clean up the home when I am having contractions and there would be too many things to do! Plus, of course I wouldn't want to pack in a hurry and leave anything out.

So what to pack for the hospital? I have no clue, other than maybe clothes and toiletries. I am certain that I will want to have a book with me too. I came out with a list, I hope I am not over packing.

Hospital appointment card.

Our NRICs.

A book. I was quite set on Louis Theroux, now I may want to read Kazuo Ishiguro instead. Maybe I will bring both. ARGH.

Pen and paper. In the event that I need to ask the doctor or nurses some questions and they are not available then. Also maybe the names of the people who will take care of me when I am there, so I can send them a thank you card after that.

Camera with extra battery fully charged. Got to make sure there is a memory card in it as well!

My own set of toiletries.

A pair of slippers for walking around in.

Change of clothes for me, The Husband and The Little One. Must remember her receiving blanket, mittens and booties. I may need extra nursing bras and er breast pads. Maxipads are IMPORTANT! I am thinking of getting some disposable panties too. Oh and a couple of extra diapers for her just in case.

My hand phone. Must be fully charged. I am thinking of telling my family only after I have popped. I have 4 siblings, all pretty gan cheong, since this will be the first time for all of them to be uncles and aunties, they will be calling constantly and what if I am having one of those awful contractions??????? Then again, I will be too excited not to not tell them. They just need to promise me to be patient and wait for news from The Husband. First grandchild some more leh, on both sides. There is a private number in every delivery room, but I doubt I will give out that number to anyone at all.


A watch to time my contractions.

Some snacks for me after delivery. Like cereal bars, nuts, dried fruits, cream crackers, milo and chocolates. For The Husband too, so he doesn't go hungry together with me.

Am I packing too much stuff? Did I leave anything out?

No comments: