Monday 8 June 2009

Reads

I have this book sitting on my shelf for a while now. I always choose my books according to moods. I am in the mood for some adventure and hence this book. I love train rides, and I do feel that it is the most romantic way to travel. Sitting by the window, looking out at the the changing landscapes, if it gets boring I will read and read some more. I would have done the Trans Siberian Rail from Beijing all the way to Russia this year, if I was more fit and not in the condition that I am in now... I like short rides and I like long rides, I like those old trains and I like those super fast ones.

I had this train set when I was really young, think I shared it with my brother, and I would spend hours with it. Building the rail tracks and see the train go round and round. It smoked too! I didn't know how to make it smoke, I needed my mum to help me with that.

I am almost halfway through the book, so far I like it. Paul Theroux can be pretty funny and sometimes he come across as a little intolerant. He wrote mainly about what happened on the trains, and touched very little of the places he went through or visited, so if you are looking for something like a travelogue, this isn't really for you.

I suppose this book is for trainspotters.

No comments: