Wednesday 21 May 2008

Travel Essentials

Here are stuff that I lug with me onto the plane. I have an insecurity issue and tend to bring more than I should, but I like to have my things with me especially on longer flights.

My camera. Of course, it stays by my side all the time, no matter small ones or big ones, I can't possibly check it in right? Along with it comes the extra memory cards and batteries, lenses and what-have-yous.

A little cosmetic pouch containing facial cleanser, moisturiser, lip balm, hand cream, sunblock, a small mirror, maybe a little powder, tooth brush and tooth paste and a little towel. I have to be a little careful packing the pouch these days due to all the airline and airport restrictions.

An empty water bottle. I hate asking for water and they give you little plastic cups. Never enough to satisfy my thirst and I feel like a little old troublesome fussy old woman if I ask for a cup too many. Besides, I love drinking water, keeps me hydrated. I avoid coffee and alcohol when I fly, bad bad bad! I relent sometimes and have coffee, usually towards the end of the flight or if it is a short flight. The coffee sucks most of the time, not much of a coffee fix if you ask me. I used to bring along my own bottle of water but again with all the restrictions now, just bring along an empty bottle and get it filled up for you on the plane. Fuss free and environment friendly too since I will not be wasting all those little plastic cups.

Tea - I hate the ones from airlines. I vow to bring my own come the next trip! I have always meant to bring my own, somehow, it is always the one thing that I forget.

Socks. To keep my feet nice and warm, some planes have Antarctic like temperatures. Of course I take them off when I go to the toilet! I wonder if it helps in reducing DVT even when they are not flight socks. I have a lightweight jacket with me too. I hate using the blanket that is provided, too much static!

A magazine or a book that is a light read. All the better in helping me pass the time on the plane. It is not every time that I take Singapore airlines that come with a good variety of entertainment channels you know. Sometimes I will read the guidebook and study the map. That is when I get a little too bored.

I suffer from neck aches ever so often, a neck pillow would be essential. I am thinking of getting a eye mask soon! Hopefully that might lull me into sleep.

A list of important numbers and contacts, airline info, hotels info, maps, embassy info, banks and emergency numbers, a copy of my passport. I have the same list saved in my email as well. Yes, this may seem a little too extreme and paranoid, but i like to feel prepared and it reduces my anxiety and give me a peace of mind.

Most importantly, bring along a sunny disposition. it is all you really need to survive long flights, rude stewardesses, stinky neighbours (eh, remember to bring medicated oil for this) and yucky food

No comments: