Saturday 14 February 2009

No Date? Have a Bon Bon or French Cookie instead!

I haven't been celebrating Valentine's day for the longest time. I don't even remember a proper Valentine's date. The most memorable Valentine's day was one that saw me and my friends lining outside Al Forno. It isn't because I am cynical or that I think that everyday can be Valentine's day. It isn't because I am not romantic. Me not digging chick flicks or rom com does not make me a non-romantic person. These movies are giving a lot of women the false picture of what romance and love is. I admit to watching these on flights though.

I just hate the thought of being given a bouquet of flowers on a day where I will see plenty of other people holding a bunch of flowers. SO PAI SEH! As if holding a bouquet is not embarrassing enough on other days. Yes, I find receiving flowers an embarrassing thing. I remember once someone sent me a bouquet on Valentine's at my work place - in a hotel leh! I starting tearing apart the bouquet and giving out the flowers to my colleagues. A colleague who, being such a cheapo, gave it to a girl from another department! I love flowers, I just do not like getting them in bouquets. I would love buying a bunch from the florist myself. I think it is more romantic holding some fresh cut flowers and heading my way home with it. I wonder if anyone could understand what I am trying to say. I do find eating out on this day a little strange. With restaurants filled with twosomes. Very disconcerting.

Having said all that, I love seeing other people getting into some good old cliche fun. The presents, the chocolates, the flowers, the dinners, the works! Seeing how everyone is in love and being very happy. Almost everyone, other than the men who are forced into the lovey dovey situation by their other halves.


What is this day without any chocolates? Bon bons with a umeshu filled centre.


Or some heavenly green tea french cookies sandwiched with white chocolate? Let me tell you, I am no fan of white chocolate, but you have got to try this cookie to believe how good this is! The sweetness in the chocolate is the perfect match to the bitterness of the tea. I had been wanting to get my hands on some of these ever since Elaine let me have one about a week ago. I just has to get some! SO ACHINGLY GOOD!

The indulgence of all things sweet will end on Valentine's Day or as long as those cookies last. We (or rather) I have been having too much sweet stuff since Christmas! From mince pies to pineapple tarts to chocolates. I am glad that I can slow down on the sweet stuff now.

No comments: