Wednesday 25 June 2008

No No Pigs Tuesdays

I blogged about turning vegetarian every Tuesday about 2 months back. Know what? It lasted just 2 weeks! Not that it is a bad thing, it turns out to be better! Taking the holistic approach it seems is the way to go. What I have done is, cut down on my meat intake for all my meals and up the amount of greens. When I cook now, I will have 2 vegetable dishes instead of just one, and a smaller meat dish. Oh, I have cooked more fish too instead of just pork, poultry or beef. There isn't much meat for my breakfasts and lunches, since I eat mostly bread and cereals. With occasional ham and cheese sandwiches. Amazingly, I had lunch appointment for most of the weekdays last week, I did try to be more carefully when I order lunch when I am eating out now. I try not too overly concern and try not to overdo the "eat-more-greens-eat-less-meat" thing. I will only come across as too uptight, anal and a killjoy.

No matter how much I cut down on meat, I will never ever be able to give it up. I love eating it. Imagine a whole without a nice home roasted chicken, bak gwa, lamb chops, bacon butties, nice juicy steaks, a good old fashioned greasy ang mo breakfast fry-up, foie gras - I love foie gras, I don't care if millions of geese are being forced fed to attain those lovely high cholesterol arteries choking livers, they are too yummy for me to be ethical about eating them! Gordon Ramsey was given livers from forced fed geese and livers from non forced fed geese, and there is a significant difference. When Ramsey says there is a difference, I am sure as hell not going to argue with that.

Since I am on the topic of food, I don't understand how some people would give "non-gourmet" food the snub. Like it is beneath them to eat rubbish like Old Chang Kee or Carl's Jr. Sometimes, nothing beats a messy, greasy burgers with plenty of fries on the side. I know, most times, all these thrash food is extremely unhealthy, but you only live once right? Just eat them in moderation. What is the point of living til you are 80 and not having had the joy of indulging in good old fish and chips and char kway teow and admitting that you love them?
There is just so much white asparagus and truffles one can consume before getting sick. Even the food critic in Ratatouille who eats only atas pretentious food had tears in his eyes when he had some ratatouille. Not that gourmet-y food is bad, it is bad only when you allow yourself to eat only that and nothing else. Food is good only when you let yourself be honest with yourself, shake off all the self-consciousness you have, let go and have a great time with it.

No comments: