Wednesday 30 April 2008

Veged

I survived my first vegetarian day. It wasn't as tough as it seems as I didn't exclude dairy from my diet.

Breakfast - cereal and coffee. I should really cut down on dairy since I want to be healthier. I should have orange juice instead. Since the vitamin c in the juice will help in the absorption of the iron in the cereal. I just had some buns for lunch. Wassants from Provence! Tsk tsk, I do really need to put in more effort for my lunch. I have a vegetarian pasta for dinner, with plenty and plenty of mushrooms. No cream, just a little olive oil, mustard and lemon zest. Extremely healthy. On top of that, we had a huge bowl of green salad. Thank goodness I am a mushroon convert, I don't think I am go vegetarian without it. Musrooms have this earthy taste with a meaty texture, makes you feel "filled up" and the meal more substantial.

The husband has been encouraging and was vegetarian for most of the day too, albeit not a very healthy one. I borrowed a book from the library called "The New Glucose Revolution Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook." There are quite a few recipes in there that I will be trying for the next few weeks ( I will gladly pass the chickpea burger recipe though ), and offers an interesting little chapter on nutrition as well. I guess, when I get older, I get a lot more careful with my eating. I can't eat like how I used to a decade ago. Have to be more careful, and also, more responsible now.

Going vegetarian is going to be pretty exciting, and I shall see how well this turns out. For a start, it has been positive and motivating. Just don't show me bak gwa and kong bak pao on my veggie days!

No comments: