Monday 18 February 2008

Gratitude

This is my first year giving out red packets for the new year. I decided to give my parents each a big one each. At least to me it was big. I decided on the amount and later decided to reduce it for I know that my mum would come to me and said that it was too much. After reducing it, I upped it to the original amount again.

I never gave my mum money. All my 30 years of my life, I never once did.I am not very proud with that fact. She never asked for any too. She will never asked us for money. I thought the amount was respectable, and I wanted to show them how grateful I was. Anyway, as expected, soon after I gave it to them, my mum came to me and told me that I gave too much. My dad called my mum and told her I was mad. If I just mentioned how much I gave my parents, it might sound like quite a big red packet. I still feel that the amount was just right.

This evening, I was talking to my husband about my parents, about how they meet, my mum's struggles to raise us alone. Suddenly, I thought about the red packets I gave them, and the amount felt so insignificant. I teared, not from any shame I felt, but I felt my mum's love for us. Despite the relentless teasing from us about her showing favouritism, I know she loves us all the same. I guess no amount of money will ever be enough to repay her for the love and kindness she showered on us. You can trust me that she had it tough. Sometimes I do wish she would spend some time and money on herself. I do wish she will allow us to pamper her now. The only way to really repay her is to show her the same amount of devotion, love and respect that we have gotten from her.

So many stories on the greatness of motherly love. So many because you can never overestimate it or over exaggerate it.

Love is a powerful thing ain't it?

No comments: